Thursday, December 6, 2012

Chopstick knitting

I found myself in need of some wooden knitting needles the other day...and the stores closest to me do not carry anything like that. I didn't want to venture to "big town" just to get some....as I have had 6 sick ones and did not want to get them out just to tickle my fancy. I just mentioned to some of the girls that I was going to get me some as soon as they all got better, and Anaiah (8) said, " what about chopsticks? Would they work?" I had thought of that a few days before, but didn't realize that we actually had some here. That was a nice surprise! The ends are a bit too blunt for what I needed, so I dropped them in the electric pencil sharpener for a few seconds, and was so pleased with the fine tip that it produced. I quickly realized that they needed to be sanded a bit and had no idea where Marion kept the sand paper. (his shed is an absolute mess) So, I said, "Anaiah, grab me a dryer sheet out of the wash room." after rubbing the tips down a bit with the dryer sheet, they were nice and smooth, so, I began stitching away. By the next day, Marion had come home and he sat out his sanding materials and did a fine job of smoothing them out for me. Who knows? I may just stick to chopsticks from now on! I like the grab that they have...it is just right for me! But, the real reason for this post is because I am so tickled at the ingenuity of children. They have very WONDERFUL ideas! It never ceases to amaze me...how they have solutions for lots of problems! Never hesitate to let them try them out! It builds their confidence in themselves and their abilities....a VERY important thing!





2 comments: