Sunday, March 25, 2012

March in the Herb Garden


I just wanted to share my pretty herbs from month to month, so I can chronicle growth and success with the different varieties that I try out. It gets very hot during the summers here, and I have to be vigilant with the tender herbs. Water almost every day is crucial. I used to keep them in pots...and lost them so easily that way. Since we moved them to these beds...I have had an easier time keeping fresh and yummy herbs that I use for cooking nearly every day. I also use them for medicinal purposes. I am truly thankful to our wonderful Creator for giving us such tasty treats as these,
that provide us with so many benefits! 
 English Lavender looking a bit weathered.
 Mint sprigs up all over the place! Once it is established...
it goes EVERYWHERE. This particular plant has been here since I began my
Herb garden in the front. RELENTLESS! That is a good thing here where it gets
SO HOT during the summer!

 Italian Flat Leaf Parsley...VERY useful!

 Mmmmm BASIL!!!! So YUMMY!

 Cilantro is pretty difficult to grow here....
it is usually one of the first to burn up

 Spearmint.....the rains have splashed up all kinds of dirt in this bed.
Need to remedy that issue!

 PEPPERMINT!!!!! :o)

 Chocolate mint, should be nice with dessert!

 Lemon Balm/Melissa I made Marion an infused oil with this last year.
It is one of the most expensive essential oils to buy, and has many medicinal uses.
We wanted to try it for his cold sores that plague him in the winter when he is tired and run down.
We are both HAPPY with the results! I WILL be making more and a special post
about that easy project in the future!
I
 Greek Oregano 3 yr old
 Tarragon 3 yr old
SO good with chicken and fish!
 Cinnamon Basil going to seed ALREADY!!!
but it sure is pretty and smells DI-VINE!!!
  Thyme 3 yr old
Sage! Not exactly my fave....but it does have some medicinal value, so i will keep it ;o)

I recently pruned my Rosemary and Tarragon back a bunch. I forgot to take a recent picture of that. The Tarragon has bounced back like crazy...Rosemary is a bit slow growing, but I have TONS of it dried. I have gone through nearly all of the dried herbs that I put up from last year...EXCEPT for the Rosemary. It is such a pungient flavor...a little goes a LONG way!



No comments:

Post a Comment