Friday, November 9, 2012

•Baby and Butterfly Pie•

While the other girls were outside enjoying the gorgeous weather and making mud pies yesterday, Avenlea and I were busy cooking daddy's lunch . We made braised pork chops and gravy with basmati rice, sweet potatoes-twice baked ( to Caramelize the sugars and make them crunchy on the outside and super soft on the inside) , sautéed kale, and Johnny cake. I didn't take pictures for some reason :0/

When Marion works nights, it throws us all into a different schedule with school work and cooking. Over the past couple years, we have gotten used to the change ups...somewhat. I still feel strongly that God made the day for work and the night for rest, and fooling around with that order too much leads to confusion in the body. We are thankful that he has a job though, and work around his odd schedule willingly.

Also, when the nights are cold, it takes a while for the school house to warm up enough for us to go do our work out there...so we have a little extra time to piddle in the garden, do laundry and cleaning, sew, begin our dinner for the afternoon. I really enjoy cooking a big meal early so that dinner time is not too busy to enjoy the little moments we have to spend with daddy before he leaves or take a ride on the 4 wheelers in the crisp, cool, fall air.

Anyway! I decided to make a dessert for daddy because he had fasted sugar and sweets for 40 days leading up to the election. He is so disciplined! I know this seems a bit odd for a person that is super particular about chemicals in our food and instant food fobia, but, Marion REALLY enjoys instant pudding and any dessert that is made with it...so this was to humor him. So crazy, because he loves all things homemade...and yet, you stick a bowl of instant pudding in front of him and LOOK OUT!!! I have always found this so....odd. My dad is EXACTLY the same way! And my mom always makes a point to remind me that I married my dad! He is a pretty good fella, so that is alright with me ;0)

As I was making this favored dessert for my love, Marowynn came in and pulled up a chair to help me cook for daddy. And as we put it together, I heard her call in "Butterfly Pie" and thought..."that is a PERFECT name for this dessert!" It is sweet, fruity, and all together delish...even if it is made with easy ingredients! Here is the recipe:
Butterfly pie:
1 box vanilla wafers, crushed in food processor
1 stick butter melted
3 ripe bananas sliced into rounds
1 can crushed pineapple drained well
1 box banana cream instant pudding made per directions
3 cups fresh whipped cream lightly sweetened with 3 tbs sugar and 1 tap vanilla
1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans (I toast in a dry skillet for about 5 mins, tossing around a few times and cooled)

Mix crushed wafers and melted butter well in bottom of a 9x13 dish and press firmly into the bottom of the dish. Layer sliced bananas and pineapple ...and then the pudding. Let set for 15 mins in the fridge, then top with whipped cream and toasted pecans

You could easily adapt this recipe with a homemade custard with wholesome ingredients...and I have done so many times...it was just a once in a blue moon treat that I knew would put a smile on my hubby's gorgeous face ;o)

I gave the spatula with a little whipped cream to this cute little lady---she REALLY enjoyed her little prize, so much so that she stood straight up and demanded some more!
 
 
Won't be long....and my sweet baby will be a walker!

No comments:

Post a Comment